Welcome to
Grove Lodge
Veterinary Group

The best-equipped veterinary hospital
for small animal care in Sussex


William was brought in to Grove Lodge Vets originally for a routine vaccination. However on examination the vet, Heather Watson, felt a large spherical structure in his abdomen. Clinically, William was drinking more and urinating more. He had also lost weight since his last visit to the vets.

A couple of days later, William was admitted to the hospital for blood tests, urine tests and for an  abdominal scan. The scan revealed a mass in William's abdomen. The vets were unclear as to whether the mass was an inflammatory lesion or cancerous (neoplasia). On hearing the news, William's owners were very keen to operate to remove his mass.

William stayed in overnight so he could receive pain killers and so we could wait for his blood test results. William's blood cells suggested  that the mass was either an inflammatory process or  neoplasia. He also had raised kidney enzymes which meant that he had early renal disease. William's renal disease could be managed with medication however, the mass needed surgical intervention.

That day, William was started on two types of antibiotics and was placed on intravenous fluids prior to his surgery. He then underwent a general anaesthetic for exploratory abdominal surgery (laparotomy). The vets found a 3-4 cm mass that was next to his colon, in his inflamed mesentery. All his lymph nodes in this area were inflamed. The mass was carefully removed and sutures were placed to prevent any bleeding. His abdomen was fully washed out using a sterile saline and then was closed. On inspection, the mass was thought to be an abscess, as it was filled with pus, but it was sent to the laboratory to get a definitive diagnosis.

To control his pain post-operatively William was placed on a Constant Rate Infusion (CRI). The CRI allowed painkillers to be given intravenously, i.e. straight in to his body via his vein. Painkillers were given this way so we could adjust his dose of painkillers easily. William recovered well post-operatively. He was comfortable so he slept however, he would not eat.

After having an uneventful night, William took a turn for the worse in the morning. He suddenly collapsed. His blood cell level had dropped dangerously low. Subsequently, his blood pressure had dropped. William was given blood transfusion to increase his blood cell number and a medication to help his blood pressure. His fluid rate was increased. These stabilised William once more. He was taken back into theatre were the vets found his inflamed mesentery was oozing blood. The vets removed the fluid, sutured oozing parts of the mesentery and flushed his abdomen once more.

After surgery, William was monitored closely. He was placed in an oxygen tent to assist his recovery.   He remained on fluids, which helped to keep his blood pressure stable. William remained on his CRI and was given antibiotics to help clear up his infection. Slowly, William began to recover. He started to move around his kennel so  his pain killers were gradually reduced. William continue to receive intensive nursing care which included tending to his wound, seeing to his every need and giving him his many medications.

William continued to improve slowly. In time, he began to eat and his CRI was removed and replaced with a painkilling patch. William underwent more blood tests and once the vets were happy with his number of red blood cells, he was able to go home. William went home on a number of medications whilst we waited for his histology results to be returned. The laboratory report was received and it confirmed that it was not a cancerous mass. It was an abscess likely resulting from an earlier perforation to his large intestine. Without surgical removal it is likely that it would have eventually burst within his abdomen.

We are so pleased to say that since his surgery, William has recovered really well.